By: David Neishabori
When shopping for a hand-woven area rug there are 3 important things one must consider: Quality, Price and Appeal.
Quality: Rug quality is based on 3 important things; Most important of all is the quality of the workmanship. second is the quality of the wool, and third is the quality of the dyes
- The quality of the workmanship: The quality of the workmanship is the most important factor to consider when it comes to determining the quality of the rug. The experience of the weaver (meaning the length of time he/she has been weaving rugs) is extremely important. Remember, this is an art piece, created by a talented artisan, whose craft may have been passed down from generation to generation. These artisans use their expertise to weave rugs to enhance our mood by color, pattern and shape from an architectural point of view. Rugs are not machines put together by reading from a manual. The more experienced the commissioned weaver is – the higher the quality of the rug is.
- The quality of the wool: New Zealand wool and Turkish wool are considered the highest quality wools available. Did you know that the most prized wool comes from sheep that are shorn in the springtime as they are feed fresh grass, which produces softer wool? Sheep shorn in the winter are fed dry grass, which produces a dryer wool that is coarse feeling.
- The quality of the dyes: All natural vegetal dyes are proven to stand the test of time as they have been used for thousands of years. Their colors are derived from many items found in nature. Some examples of naturally derived dyes are; Indigo, which grows wild and is cultivated in the Near East, and is the primary source for the color blue, and red, which comes from the root of the madder plant. German synthetic dyes are also very good quality that are preferable because of their permanence.
Price: You may wonder what sets the price of the rug. There are 3 important factors that go into the price of the rug:
- The cost to commission a hand-woven rug. A higher commissioning structure ensures you are receiving a piece that is hand-packed, woven with integrity and without child-labor.
- Is the rug woven without child-labor? Child-labor is one subject that is often avoided. Often a lower price indicates the use of child-labor. Ask your dealer for verification that they recognized and certified as a child labor free rug dealer?
- The quality of the materials. There are various grades of wool and dyes and within each grade there are higher qualities of the product. A more experienced weaver will require finer wool and dyes. You can be sure that if the weaver cuts corners on labor, they will also cut corners on the materials. Breathing chemically polluted wool and artificial dyes is hazardous to your health.
BEWARE of rug companies that offer huge discounts and sales. Often these are gimmicks!
Appeal: There is no question that the appeal of the area rug is going to be a huge factor leading to your final decision. Size and material both go into the equation. The balance of color and coordination of design also go into the appeal of the rug. Most importantly though…is how you feel about rug.
- Does it make you happy when you look at it?
- How about the design of the rug? Does it create the mood you want? Are the elements of the rug architecturally balanced?
- Does it set the tone or tie together the décor of the room?
AZADI Fine Rugs is known as the Designer’s choice for fine rugs. The oldest purveyor of fine rugs in the world, since 1790, AZADI is known as the most trusted authority and respected resource in the industry. The AZADI Story begins with rich history, passion and delight in providing you with exquisite rugs and exceptional service for over two centuries. AZADI Fine Rugs is steeped in family tradition, authenticity and personalisation. They continue to operate from this over 200-year tradition, passed along through each generation of this family owned business with of passion, respect, and gratitude for all whom they serve.
AZADI has a collection of over 10,000 fine area rugs. Whether you’re designing one space or an entire home, AZADI is experienced with taking care of your needs instantly. Our many types of rugs include; hand-woven rugs, contemporary area rugs, Tuscon design rugs, transitional design rugs, simple and clean design rugs, Oriental rugs, wool area rugs, vintage area rugs, Persian tribal rugs and Antique area rugs. Let our professionals help transform your space with exquisite rug design. At AZADI Fine Rugs we deliver the quality of these exquisite designs with impeccable Seven-Star Service.
AZADI Fine Rugs has 225 years of experience in assisting our clients in selecting and maintaining unique area rugs for both home and office. To learn more about AZADI Fine Rugs in Scottsdale call (480) 483-4600 or contact us online at www.azadifinerugs.com.
Visit AZADI Fine Rugs in the following locations (AZ, CO, WY, HI, and by appointment, anywhere in the U.S.A.)
AZADI Fine Rugs in Scottsdale, AZADI Fine Rugs in Sedona, AZADI Navajo Rugs in Sedona, AZADI Fine Rugs in Telluride, AZADI Fine Rugs in Jackson Hole, AZADI Fine Rugs in Kona.
Find David Neishabori for AZADI Fine Rugs on Google+